Interline Costs

Hello all,

I believe this was posted back in 2017 but never got an answer.

How are interline costs calculated? As in the number of required staff? (I know by now that it multiplies by the staff salary).

My airlines (most of which are over 100 planes) have contracts with massive giants that have arguably way more connections that cost way less than with tiny airlines and limited connections or mid-sized airlines with little network connection between the two airlines.

Is it based on the actual connection numbers based on ORS itineraries? Theoretical city pairs/itinerary numbers available?
Is it based on the enterprise itself? Airline ratings? The possible length of destinations? (one of my European partner pays way more money for my Iraqi sub than my regional European sub despite the Iraqi sub being 1/4 the size)

I see no point in which a brand new airline with 5 destinations and 2 planes requires twice as much staff as one of my alliance partners whom I share (and I mean aligned waves and everything) multiple hubs and arguably have way more connections for.

Also, why can’t we see the theoretical cost before actually sending the interline? Surely this wouldn’t be hard as it’s already calculated the second after? Would be nice to see whether certain interlines are not worth financial sense.

Thanks

2 Likes

I actually had to look it up in code to figure out how this works. The respective lines of code are from October 2009 :slight_smile:

The whole formula is pretty silly and is mostly based on the “network rating” of the involved companies, a value computed using a whole bunch of magic numbers and the amounts of destinations and flights an airline serves. The resulting value is a completely arbitrary index, so it’s not actually displayed anywhere.

Recomputing these indexes is fairly costly, but they are cached. So in principle, it should be possible to display the amount of network managers a new IL agreement will incur quite easily. But that won’t change how this value comes to be :slight_smile:

Sorry I didn’t reply earlier to this… can I realistically ask for those to be displayed in an upcoming patch as some sort of confirmation?

I (and some others at least) want to see if we’re wasting 100k A$S or more for a single connection before opening a IL. Would also crucially save small airlines money so they don’t have similar wasteage and help them prosper.

Would be nice for QOL.

I can understand why it would be hard to recalculate such costs, and I know that fixing the game existing isn’t the #1 priority so I will not ask for this for now, but maybe before the new world or whenever the next patch comes out? Surely that won’t take long and would be nice for the people supporting the new game by playing the old one…

3 Likes

We do have a maintenance patch lined up for Q1/Q2 and I’ll see what I can do, but no promises.

1 Like