New/Missing Airports

So I was going through my every-so-often status update of the Brasov Airport project and I fell into a really big rabbit hole about new airports and some others that were missing in the game. Here are some airports I saw missing I wanted to post out publicly, as I don’t quite want all of this “work” to be buried as a support ticket in my ever-more-messy inbox. Hopefully, we see some of them in a future data patch :slight_smile:

Let me precede with two things:

1 - this is not the first time something like this is posted, so see following threads below if you are not a frequent forum lurker.

Those three have yet to be introduced…

2 - The big market for this is India. There is a LOT of new airports there past three years alone. I didn’t feel like going through all of that, much less because it is a less relevant market for me specifically. I can try and go through it if anyone is interested, or if someone has a list that’d be nice to see added. But there are definitely at least 15-20 airports in India missing just because they’ve been built nothing ago.

And now, the rest of the findings in List format.

Aeroport Andorra–La Seu d’Urgell (Seu d’Urgell, Spain / LEU / LESU)
Date opened: 2010
Commercial air service: Iberia Regional/Nostrum to MAD
Runway situation: 1x 1267m (SkyVector)
Notes: not the first time I ask, so may already be on the list

Bicol Int’l Airport (Legazpi, Philippines / LGP / RPLK)
Date opened: October 7, 2021 (Airport Technology)
Commercial air service: MNL 63 flights/wk by Cebgo, Cebu Pacific, PAL Express / CEB 4x/wk by Cebgo (FR24))
Runway situation: 1x 2500m (SkyVector)
Notes: Replaces old Legazpi International Airport (LGP / RPLP)

Betong Airport (Yala, Thailand / IATA / ICAO)
Date opened: March 14, 2022
Commercial air service: DMK 3x/wk by Nok Air (FR24, NokAir.com)
Runway situation: 1x 1800m (SkyVector)
Notes: Article that details it well Bangkok Post - Newly opened Betong airport spurs high hopes for tourism

Fuzuli Int’l Airport (Fuzuli, Azerbaijan / FZL / UBBF)
Date opened: October 2021 (RFL/RE)
Commercial air service: None
Runway situation: 1x 3000m (SkyVector)
Notes: Inside disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh; see here

New Phu Quoc Int’l Airport (Phú Quốc, VietNam / PQC / VVPQ)
Date opened: December 2012
Commercial air service: Many airlines and destinations
Notes: Replaced old airport (known as Duong Dong Airport) with same ICAO and IATA. Runway and airport size upgrades were never reflected in the current game.

Van Don Int’l Airport (Vân Đồn District, Quảng Ninh Province, VietNam / VDO / VVVD)
Date opened: December 30, 2018
Commercial air service: SGN around 14 flights/wk by Thai VietJet, Vietnam Airways, Bamboo. (FR24)
Runway situation: 1x 3600m (SkyVector)
Notes: Also known as Ha Long Airport; 260k pax in 2019

Kertajati Int’l Airport (Majalengka Regency, Jawa, Indonesia / KJT / WICA)
Date opened: July 2019
Commercial air service: 5 Airlines, 9 Domestic Destinations, International service to KUL
Notes: 460k pax Jul19-Dec19

Haji Muhammad Sidik Airport (Trinsing, Kalimantan, Indonesia / HMS / WAGB)
Date opened: 30 March 2021
Commercial air service: 5 Airlines, 3 Destinations
Runway situation: 1x 1400m (DGCA database)

Toraja Airport (Toraja, Sulawesi, Indonesia / TRT* / WAFB)
Date opened: 18 March 2021
Commercial air service: 3 Airlines
Runway situation: 1x 2000m (DGCA database)
Notes: * TRT was the old ICAO code for Trat, Thailand. This has since been changed to TDX - the game has two airports for Trat (TRT and TDX) so the old one with code TRT should be eliminated).

Jenderal Besar Soedirman Airport (Purbalingga, Java, Indonesia / PWL / WAHP)
Date opened: Old airfield; first commercial operations June 1, 2021 (source 1, source 2)
Commercial air service: Citilink to HLP and SUB, Wings Air to Jakarta-Pondok Cabe (starting soon)
Runway situation: 1x 1600m (Antara)
Notes: Also known as Purwokerto Airport

Ngloram Airport (Cepu, Java, Indonesia / CPF / WARC)
Date opened: First flight on November 2021 (https://finance.detik.com/infrastruktur/d-5805758/citilink-terbang-perdana-ke-bandara-ngloram-26-november)
Commercial air service: Citilink to HLP and SUB
Runway situation: 1x 1494m (SkyVector)

And that’s just the ones I saw. If anyone has any others that are open right now, feel free to add 'em on. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hey. I thought I’d add one to the list:

Filipe Jacinto Nyusi Airport (Xai-Xai, Mozambique — VJB | FQXA) [Link]
Date opened: 29 November 2019 [Link]
Commercial air service: 1 domestic flight weekly to Maputo(MPM), operated by LAM(Linhas Aéreas de Moçambique) [Link]
Coordinates: 25° 02’ 16" S33° 37’ 39" E [Link] [Link2]
Runway: Asphalt 1800m / 5906ft [Link]
Annual passenger capacity: 220,000 [Link]
Notes: Also known as Xai-Xai Airport or Chongoene Airport [Link]

Sources:

3 Likes

Hey, thank you for the detailed research, I’m adding all of those to the list! If you’d like to fall a bit more into the rabbit hole and join the geo data team, feel free to reach out to me :slight_smile:

Another one I seemed to miss:

Palmerola International Airport (Tegucigalpa/Comayagua, Honduras / XPL / MHPR)
Date opened: December 2021 (Aviacionline, Aviacionline English)
Commercial air service: all international traffic of the old Tegucigalpa Airport (which remains open but only for domestic operations) - includes service on AeroMexico Connect, COPA, American, Spirit…
Runway: 1x 2441m (SkyVector)
Comayagua International Airport - Wikipedia

4 Likes

Is anything happening in this matter?
It’s been quite a while since the last addition of new airports, whereas I feel like in the past it used to happen more often.

When can we expect those airports to be added?

2 Likes