New ors on existing servers

But that’s a discussion for a separate thread

Even if the grandfathered airlines would start loosing a slight amount of money they still have countless billions to burn. It’s not like they would go bankrupt the next day, let alone the next year.

I think a lot of discussion is missing the point here. The challenge is really not money but aircraft performance. There are a lot of airlines pushing aircraft range to the limit with half of capacity. Reschedule all the flights would be required, and would not be possible since major airports are slot restricted.
On xiguan, that will be the worst case scenario, since the turnaround time will also be affected.

2 Likes

What a shame it would be if players couldn’t abuse unreal bugs any longer… Real shame.

Your slot restriction fear is unfounded btw because due to larger cabin sizes less flights per city pair would be required to feed into hubs.

It would also shift the focus from getting just as many frequencies as possible towards more real aircraft sizes for particular city pairs because in fierce competition it would no longer be affordable to operate smaller aircraft. (Which is done right now because the ORS really benefits more frequencies once the race to 100 rating is completed.)

The point is not that it would be not ideal, but describe how complicated it would be for the rescheduling of all aircraft. Basically, this forces the players to change the schedule for all their aircraft, which would take half an hour per aircraft due to the slot constraint, and performance constraint, etc. The large airlines build their schedule for thousands of aircraft over the course of years, and it would be impossible to ask them change all schedule over a short period of time.

The dynamics for the legacy servers is as follows: only a handful of players are continuously playing on the server over the span of years, gradually building a system that cannot be updated swiftly to rule changes. If the changes pushed would anger most existing user and causing them to leave, what is the point.
The purpose of new ors is not to make way for new airlines in existing worlds pissing off all players there. Be reminded that this is a game, before it is a simulation, therefore decency for existing players from the company is expected. This is why only non-destructive updates are pushed into old servers, while ors and turnaround are not. If you want to enjoy the new ors, just go to the new game world with the updated system.

1 Like

The effects of the non-destructive update in spring. (AS$ 500 million per line)

We are talking about a tweaked ORS here, not about changes in demand distribution!
This biggest flaw of the game has been unchanged ever since.
It’s not that frequency is king as soon as you’re at a 100 rating. Frequency always is king - to an extend that puts 1-stop connections in advantage of nonstops.
That said, I don’t see any use in rolling out that “new” ORS to old servers. You’d wreck havoc but would actually change not much to gameplay/realism.
Rollout to old servers as soon as there’s something that actually offers a benefit for the work needed. That tweaked ORS isn’t it.

Wasn’t the spring update just relative demand?

But had massive impact in some business directions, e.g. freight. What I actually wanted to say: updates have also been applied to old servers in the past that had a major impact, so this would be nothing new.

There are no immediate plans to upgrade old game worlds to the new ORS. We are aware of the concerns and that’s probably why it wasn’t upgraded yet, but we’re sure there’d also be opportunities. In that sense, for the “official answer” we’ve not ruled it out. If we’d chose tho change the ORS on old game worlds, we’d definitely announce it in advance, though.

2 Likes

Thanks for the answer. I would definitely be happy about the new ORS on the legacy worlds.

I would really love to see the new ORS in Croydon. I put a lot of efforts in creating a realistic airline but having to put less than 200 seats on a 787 kills the realism, as do all those 737’s crossing the atlantic, that is just ridiculous.
I would love to join a newer world, but none of them have the criterias I like on the older servers,namely long-term, second hand aircraft, realistic night bans and traffic rights.
And airlines would have to re-organize their operations? So what? That is what airlines do in the real world, adapt.

1 Like

6 months airline, 140 aircraft… Maybe if it was someone with 2000 aircraft and 6 years old airline saying, it would be worth paying attention. How much revenue have you generated for airlinesim yourself on that particular server ?

I give you an idea… Get together 20 people and open up private server exactly to your liking. Old aircraft, etc… Why not ? Btw there are private servers that have old aircraft, new ORS, night time bans etc.

@sbercher1 Our private server Reality sounds pretty much like what you’re looking for.

On the other hand I can understand why people are lenient to join private servers. If it’s well managed and has active members, it can be a lot of fun and a serious challenge. But with the low player limitation (25 I think it is) you need pretty much every member to be at the top of their game to have at least some proper competition. In many instances it just becomes a “build your dream airline with unlimited cash” situation sooner or later.

Sounds good but exactly as you said, the thrill of this game for me is the competition. Maybe if each player manages 10 airlines that could do it for me (is that even something people do?).

Oh I have been with AS since the beginning almost (with a different account), and have had airlines with thousands of a/c, but I’ve got your point. And yes, a private server might be something I could consider in the near future.

The new ORS would most definitely kill my airline on Croydon unless I put in some hundreds of hours of restructuring. I’d say that I’ve exploited the old ORS to the max with the whole Recliner Shorthaul in economy thing, so I have a lot of planes transporting quite a low number of people. The new ORS would obviously wreck that and yeah, that’d be more realistic, but it’s not how the old game worlds work. Implementing the new ORS in old game worlds would almost equal a restart of those servers and I doubt that that’s a good thing. It’d be like opening 10? new servers with the same maybe fewer players to go at it.
Does the new ORS attract enough people to fill the void legacy players leave on those old game worlds? I don’t think so.

I mean I see why some folks want to see it happen and I personally would understand if it did. I guess it’d probably just be the end of my airlinesim experience.

2 Likes

What exactly would we need to change? Cabin configuration only? Or do I miss something?
On legacy worlds without DTA, would a cabin configuration change have more impacts?
If not, the work to change it would take… some hours for thousands of planes.
Next step would be to get rid of planes because of too much capacity. But that is something which will always happen and will not kill big airlines.

i think it is a good question as @highscore2 asked what exactly needs to be changed. i have never been on a new ORS server, does the new ORS solve pro-frequency issues on the booking side? (as far as all the update to my server, kaitak, I don’t see any past updates made a difference on this subjects)

I have no issue changing my airlines if needed, but if all the new ORS does is forcing me to change the cabin configs for all my aircraft and doesn’t make anything otherwise, e.g., fixing the overcrowded airports issue, I feel like it’s just wasting people’s time… You might allow certain player (maybe new) try some company model which can’t be done in the old ORS system, but I don’t think that outweight the troubles it caused. i saw players come on the server, some of them stays, but also a lot of them left after a while. My concern is more on old player leaving the servers, and that’s not definitely not helping AS running the server. In addition, even if new players comes to the server, they will force into the slots issue anyway on lots of the major airports. Maybe, the new ORS might make old players cancel some flights, but can they also just switch to the smallest plane possible for operating the routes without reducing the frequency, which will make no impact on the slots?

i have been told when I was in the engineering school: ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’. If you are implementing the update without solving anything, you are pretty much doing the opposite… and everyone has limited amount of free time…