New ors on existing servers

I know you have been with AS for a long time. Maybe you missed it, but it was specific to your stay on Croydon. On Croydon you’re relatively new, while trying to sway into something that would affect players who are on Croydon maybe a decade.

It would. Tighter seats, means lowered revenue, tighter seats on 737 would mean no long TATL flying as you would get same seat count as with recliner shorthaul to get into range limited but with much lower revenue because of smaller seats… Or keep the seats but charge much less, same thing, in any case flights would be no longer profitable and because of slots scarcity difficult to change for a 787 for example.
Also changing 1000 A321 or 739 into 1000 A320 or 738 would take 3 years to accomplish, for example, and possibly even more as the revenue drop would be huge and money for switching might become more scarce. It’s a chain of events and consequences.

All in all, huge workload, no difference at the end.

New ORS only accomplishes price value ratio, nothing else. The demand part was already changed (some routes now have more pax, some less, and cargo is awful) but the demand distribution is the same.

So why all the workload, alienating players, countless hours only switching cabins and planes, for the only, only result of difference in price value ratio.

New ORS price value ratio (it’s actually misleading calling it new ORS) had only one thing to achieve, slowing the growth and profitability. What’s the point of that on servers with behemoth airlines already established for years ?

If you really have to swap most of planes, yes.

That’s just not true. It does solve a lot more issues. It solves a bit of the slot shortage issues on overcrowded airports because - even though more frequencies still get a benefit in the ORS - the impact of price got a lot more relevance. A route can only take that much capacity, but with an A321 it’s so easy to undercut your opponent with more frequencies but less capacity per plane on prices, so that you can walk away with less flights and still be on top of the ORS.

Does it prevent people switching from 321s to 320s with the same frequency as Goerge/rubio mentioned, especially since this is probably much easier to do compared to switch to larger aircraft with lower frequency due to slot restriction? for example, for my trunk route CGK-SUB/DPS, I am pretty much sure I can run as frequent as I want (or at least current frequency) if I removed all my wide-bodies and only running 320s, which seems to carries 180 pax using Slimline HD, while currently i have some of my 747s on the route with 400+ seats. As far as my observation on my server, mainland China airports, which have the same slot issues, probably have the same demand level, so i think it is important if the ORS is intend to fix things, it would have the actual desirable results. Keep in mind implementing on new servers which everyone starts from ground level is different from an update on existing servers which people already scheduled all their flights.

I think to fix the slot issue in particular on the existing servers, several things is probably needed:

1. higher/close to realistic aircraft capacity for each aircraft (seems to be fixed by the ‘new ORS’)
  2. reduce turn-around time for larger aeroplanes for short-haul usage (i think this is fixed by DTA?)
  3. reduce the frequency impact on the booking and prefer at least certain flight separation (e.g. it is fine for you to have wide bodies per hour or half-hour, but if there is a competition between a player with 320s running per 10 mins and another player running 330s per 30 mins, the 330s should all fill up first before all the 320s so that using larger aircraft is actually ‘promoted’ by the booking system. Sure, this might not happen in real life, but so does the increased demand in AS). (I’m not sure whether this point related to any changes/updates so far?)

to be fair, i am not looking forward to changing my airlines if these changes are indeed implemented, especially i have no idea what would happen to airlines running 737s/320s with max range but a lower than realistic seating config, which is how i run some of my hubs. Is it just switching every plane to extended range version or something even worse? but i think at least it fixes the problem intended to be fixed, unlikely the aircraft type route restriction, which i don’t think actually did that much to the slot problem. Yes, the slot improves for a short period, but they are full again eventually…

or maybe slot issues can be just fixed if airports can be expanded and/or non-transferrable airports can be transferrable? instead of forcing everyone to reschedule their flights…

just some of my thoughts… by any chance is there any other issues the new ORS solved?

2 Likes

I would agree to TWAAir and I also think this would maybe save some slots from long-range flights. But Mid-/Shortrange? Just use smaller aircrafts to keep the slots as he already said. There are enought airlines with plenty of money to do that. This would change nothing. Yeah here and there one don’t get the slots one wants, but in RL one don’t get it too. As long as there is no antitrust-rules (that probably never come) one has to live with it or look on an other server.

Changing heavily the rules of a running game because someone decides it’s unrealistic or why? I know Airlinesim tries to be a simulation, but imagine someone doing that at a long running party of chess. Hey come on, a queen is so much faster than a king? And a rook doesn’t usually move on itself! Let’s change that now. :wink:

So i also don’t see any benefits from changes causing a lot of work.

And if someone wants to play on long therm server with new ORS there is finally a new one. No second hand Aircrafts? Just wait some time…

2 Likes