Quo vadis AirlineSim?

Being a player from the first hour of airlinesim, I am wondering where the game is heading in its 20th year? We haven’t heard much from the Developers, as I guess they put their energy in their new project. Don’t get me wrong this shall not be a complaining topic, rather then the request of transparent communication where this game is heading to?

There have been a lot of plans on enhancements and the boards are full of suggestions, but the only thing we have seen are some feel-good upgrades with a new button here and there. Ist this what the future of airlinesim will look like? Or are there still realistic plans on major development steps? A longterm perspective would be really nice, especially with the 20 year milestone coming up.

What do others think and maybe also the team?

1 Like

Hello

I was not in the first hour :slight_smile: which btw is cool that you are still here after all these years. I have been playing on and off since 2012. I do like this game even after all these years.

I too would like to see a more realistic roadmap from the developer. One that sets achievable goals and sets out where we are heading - if anywhere. I know and have read most of Martin’s replies to threads like this and do understand that from a purely business perspective they need to branch out and that development resources are finite. As a senior IT business analyst for the past 20 years I can appreciate that.

Congrats on your nearly 20 years MxM :slight_smile:

1 Like

There have been many plans and ideas indeed… but I am guessing most resources are heading to PU now, purely from a financial standpoint (I am not sure where this came from, but the 4-6 credits a day (20 cents of a Euro, if using the “most popular” conversion, per player), cannot be sustainable in the way for all that team to cover their costs and still turn a profit. Sure, the private worlds are much more lucrative, but not everyone (me, for example) is willing to shell $15-25 eur+ a month for a sandbox, really. I, myself, personally prefer to use that money elsewhere, with no offence to private players. Everyone makes their own decisions in life, after all.

I know we still have a ton of “unfulfilled promises” (if that’s the term we want to use), from the 2015 and especially 2016 talks. Those, and that one note in the blog in '19, were the last true officially-announced “plans”, otherwise some small little drops but that’s it (I can’t-not point out the correlation that 2015-2016 is also around the rough time where PU went into full-gear dev’t). I can try and recap but I am sure you know what is “planned”, if you’ve been here since the early 2000s.
But hey, at least we get that A330-800neo at the end of the month… it’s not like it’s been 15-18 months or anything…

This thread, and especially some of the responses, is as good as we got to respond to the general question of Quo Vadis… Future of AirlineSim. I would highly suggest reading that… There’s also some German Forum topics on this from earlier that did get heated, but DeepL only goes so far to convey the meaning…

This is quoted from that thread above.

martin, simulogics, Apr 6th
I don’t want to go into any kind of detail, partly because we do not have finalised plans yet and partly because I don’t want to get people too excited at this point. But at the core of the current AS stagnation are essentially two issues:
Number 1 is that the current codebase of AS is around 15 years old (or “ancient” in software terms) and that many of features available today are essentially broken. The stock market, aircraft market and alliances have been mentioned above, but I could list more examples. So adding new or overhauling features is difficult both for technical and for game design reasons.
Number 2 is that the company needs more than one leg to stand on if we want to continue making (and supporting) games in the future. Keep in mind that AS has been around for almost 20 years now (post on that coming soon) and we have no plans of stopping to operate it. Prosperous Universe is our first attempt at spreading the risk, but we are a tiny team and working on more than one project at a time while one of them only just launched in Early Access is extremely tough.
So long story short: Some things (that I can’t and don’t want to discuss just yet) are planned for AS, but we are spread thin in terms of resources and everything will take some time (as usual). Meanwhile, AS is going to continue, even the old game worlds that - at this point - generate a questionable amount of revenue :smiley:

So take of that what you will, of course. I have made my opinions clear on multiple occassions, of which I am sure you will find if you dig.

I know we have suggested the idea of a Trello or similar board to track more accountable progress, and to at least know why we keep pouring $ into this game that we love, or at least offer a way for people to directly support development beyond their little “20 cents of salt”… Patreon, offering players the chance to work on things such as the guide or the handbook, those with actual experience to provide either data or full-on work on the end, or something… because it’s not like this game is stagnated because it’s community is, in fact we welcome more people everyday & that’s great.

This blog from Dec 2018 is also a good resource, and the last true “insight into plans” we got (unless someone is welcome to give me something more recent. AirlineSim Blog — Our plan for 2019 — AirlineSim
I will quote it here as well.

There’s only two weeks left in 2018, so it’s time to sum up this year and also have a glance at 2019.
We’ll be honest with you: This year hasn’t worked out as well as we had hoped and there’s been a lack of development for some time now. But why is that? As with most development studios, AirlineSim isn’t the only thing our team is working on, and work for external clients continues to be essential for the sustainability of our company. We are aware that this situation has been difficult for AirlineSim especially in 2018. We have been thinking about how to solve it and make more progress with AirlineSim both in terms of game development and support.
When we launched Hoover almost one year ago, we already discussed the dilemma of long-term game worlds: It is one of the unique features of AirlineSim to have these “endless” game worlds that allow you to manage your airlines for many, many years. But thanks to market forces, these game worlds naturally become saturated over the years and the airlines are big, but few. Therefore, player numbers drop and finally stagnate. We definitely do not want to shut down those long-term game worlds, thus undoing all the hard work players have put into their airlines. But while 100 players on a game world are still enough to pay for the server hardware and upkeep, our old long-term game worlds contribute a rather small share to AirlineSim as a whole. So we’ve decided to address this issue, and with the start of 2019, we will adjust the credit consumption on all long-term game worlds to the Hoover level. If you play on a long-term game world, your first holding will be charged with 6 credits per day and any additional holding with 4 credits per day. We are making this change to ensure that all game worlds are contributing their fair share to the development and support of AirlineSim, which we are set on improving significantly starting in January.
[Redacted for brevity, essentially the new most recent prices]

WHAT’S THE PLAN FOR 2019?
We want to increase our time budget for AirlineSim again to improve both our support and the game’s development in 2019. Here’s a preview of what’s about to come:
– An aircraft conversion feature that will enable you to convert passenger aircraft into freighters or retrofit winglets to your fleet.
– The in-game demand data for passengers and cargo will receive a global update.
– “Historic” game worlds with accelerated time advancement - so you can play through several decades of aircraft history.
– A completely new wiki will be launched to provide reliable information about AirlineSim.
– More patches to improve smaller issues in the game and fix bugs.
///
AND WHAT’S THE PLAN FOR DECEMBER?
We will launch a new long-term game world this Thursday, December 20th. This will be accompanied by a data patch for all game worlds. (note, Xiguan)
But most importantly, we’d like to say thank you to our loyal players! For the first time ever, there’ll be a discount on your credit purchases over the next two weeks! [redacted for brevity]
Thank you for your understanding, your loyalty and your support! We’ll do our best to make 2019 a great year for AirlineSim and the community. Good luck to all your airlines!

Since 2019, I do not think I am the only person who has not seen the justification of the prices, especially on those old servers, or that “the development and support of AirlineSim, which we are set on improving significantly starting in January.”. I know that is not what the price hike was meant for, but some feel that they are getting less value for money. I was not really active when the old prices were around, but some older players have expressed this discontent to me privately, and I cannot brush that aside.

The noteworthy thing for me, is the first few lines, that AS does not make enough money or resources on its own - hence why some people have wanted to help with that end.

But many silent overseers, have taken the pessimistic road and done the good old “just live with it” approach. Of course it is their choice, but I am one that doesn’t really feel the need to hold back to see change. Because I am far from the only one who wants it, judging by talks and conversations across this wonderful community which makes me feel more welcome every day, and will stay up until 4:30 AM to talk about planes and many other things. It’s that we want to see this community grow, open its doors, and realize the potential we all see within simulogics and this product.

And like I have said before, Martin or any of the AS team, whom I will assume will eventually read this, don’t take this hard upon yourselves - we know it has been a tough year, especially in your motherland with all this mess which I don’t need to name, and we understand the situation is not simple on your end either, and that you do have to run a business at the end of the day. We are simply trying to make this game and community better on all of us, by trying to make our money’s worth, and to judge the countless hours (and money at this point) we pour into this beloved game, because we want to see it flourish.

And to come full-circle to your question, MxM, I would love to see that communication as well, and those realistic plans. I think everyone would. But we will only know in the future whether I have just wasted 40 minutes of my short life writing this, or not.

To finish, I will quote a famous song: You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one.

4 Likes

Yeah I am with you and of course I read through the blog and the forum and thats why I thought it would be good to get an update on the plan, as most of the really official communications are 2-3 years old and nothing big has happend.

I also agree for example that I keep my airline on Tempelhof online alive for sentimental reasons, but looking at my alliance colleagues that have a daughter in every investment open country, I think also they would agree that there is simply “no fun” anymore in those older game worlds. And if the really don’t make money, I think someone should judt close them. I am honest I just keep paying for it, because I don’t have the heart to pull the plug myself. But I wouldn’t mind somebody else plugging it if it helps.

I am also playing on several serveser and a private server so money is not the issue, becaue I like the game, I think it is still one-of-a-kind and I haven’t found a replacement yet that gets near this system. But I am also honest my love and dedication for that game stopps if I get a feeling I am just a finance point for other projects. I do get all the arguments by martin and I agree with him from an entrepeneur point of view. But a lot of promises have been made (dynamic booking classes etc.) and were never spoken of again and therefore I think it would be great especially in this jubilee year to get an out look on were this is heading in reality, also now with PU continuing. And I am no expert, but I am sure that parts of PU could also be used for a revamp AS maybe in 2-3 years, but at least this would give an outlook.

I think my main point is, whatever the guys plan, a little bit more active official communication would be appreciated, does not need to be big blog posts.

Anyhow don’t get me wrong I still love the game, but as a longterm player I feel a bit like I have seen it all and longing for a straw to keep my love alive :wink:

AirlineSim has for a long time had an incredible team of volunteers who have helped coming up with ideas, community management, testing, introduction of aircraft, etc.

This was great and a lot of the features and planes that we know and love in the game have been brainstormed and tested by these volunteers while Martin did the programming. There was also an UAB which was elected and handled cheating, mediation and generally helped make the forum a better place. I don’t have any Simulogics insight, but as a player I think that system worked pretty well and because a lot of the upkeep of the game was volunteer work it was not a huge expense for Simulogics. Even with an incredible team of volunteers there is still some coordination to be done and sadly it felt that at a point the game was more upkept by the team of volunteers than by Simulogics itself. Volunteers are volunteers and if they don’t get anything out of it and feel like the overall mood is in decline they will now longer keep volunteering. That’s what happened to me and I quit AS altogether in 2018.

I think AS functioned best in the era of Martin and SK. Martin is an incredible developer and used to put in quite a lot of work on AS to regularly bring new updates and features. While SK did an incredible job of community management, UAB and team management. It truly was a time when AS felt alive and the community was incredible. I suggest Simulogics try to go back to that time with AS. With somebody who can take a role similar to SK and be able to build a new team of volunteers while these volunteers also feel like their ideas are getting developed into the game.

2 Likes

I agree that there needs to be better openness of the development of the game. As for developing the future of the game, I personally wish AS would lean towards open-sourcing the code so we could have members of the community be able to put forward their own contributions. AS is a great game, I have played on and off since 2016. There is nothing like it, but at the same time, outside of the revised ORS there has been very little development in the way of changes since I began playing.

I am not against spending money, I do so regularly, I just feel like we don’t have enough transparency with how development is heading. Having weekly devblogs, quarterly AMAs, or other ways for the community/paying customers understand where the future is would be amazing.

First of all: Pleasure to have someone who joined “in the first hour” enquire about AS as it is about to turn 20 years old. God, we’re old :smiley:

Concerning the question:

I think I mentioned it on another thread recently (even after the quote that @jetcruise0707 shared above) that we are in fact in the process of working something out, but I can’t and I don’t want to talk about it yet because we do not know whether it is going to work out the way we imagine it. And contrary to how we have often done it in the past, I don’t want to overpromise on something we then can’t keep. So give us a few more weeks/months and we’ll know more.

1 Like

Thanks martin, for me this is sufficient and I am patiently waiting like I did the 20 last years :wink: Except my UAB time, I wasn’t that patiently waiting I remember the intense discussions like yesterday.

Anyhow, I appreciate that we will receive an honest and realistic answer in due time and I just put my hope on the fact that I will like this announcment.

Thanks and Keep up the good work.

We reached an important milestone in the thing I vaguely hinted at before. I am somewhat confident that we’ll announce something concrete in 4 to 6 weeks time. Stay tuned!

8 Likes

Thanks for the info, looking forward for this Christmas present :wink:

Can’t wait for the update! Also, are you able to tell us the upcoming schedule of new game worlds? I know Domination II just ended, so a new game world being opened up soon?

We are waiting wit any sort of schedule and/or announcement until after the 15th, when Spezialist’s successor will join the company and we plan the weeks and months ahead.

2 Likes

Not to make any pressure, I‘m just geniunely curious. Any news about those ominous news yet?

2 Likes

The new employee hasn’t even been presented so we need to wait quit a bit as Martin talks about 1-2 months.

1 Like

What @lucas154 said…just a bit more patience. You definitely won’t miss it.

1 Like

Did the new team member already join AS?

As of the fifteenth.

And who is it? Would be nice to know.

1 Like

Look into discord if you havnt already

1 Like