Travel between Saudi and Iran

Just saw this.  I would expect that Airlinesim update this status if this regional war escalates and based on what I'm reading I fully expect it to do so.

"Further escalating the crisis between the two countries, the Saudi Foreign Minister announced Monday that his government had cut all commercial ties with Iran, halted air traffic to and from Tehran and banned all its citizens from traveling to the country. Earlier, Saudi allies Bahrain and Sudan followed Riyadh in severing diplomatic ties, while the UAE limited the number of Iranian diplomats serving in the emirate."

http://www.debka.com/newsupdatepopup/14434/Saudis-cut-air-commercial-ties-with-Iran-and-ban-travel

Another source

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2016/1/4/iran-accuses-saudi-arabia-of-fueling-tension-in-diplomatic-spat.html

We would also need bans of flights between Russia and Egypt

We would also need bans of flights between Russia and Egypt

We would also need bans of flights between Russia and Turkey.

We would also need bans of flights between Russia and Ukraine.

.... and next week we need bans from anywhere to everywhere :lol:

We would also need bans of flights between Russia and Turkey.

We would also need bans of flights between Russia and Ukraine.

.... and next week we need bans from anywhere to everywhere :lol:

Honestly the game should at some point reflect actual reality with the flight bans.  Just like if the US and Cuba start allowing flights the game should as well.  I'm not asking for real time changes by any means.

We weren’t and I’m pretty sure we won’t in the future add any bans or so within running game worlds. Especially not if it is not sure if these will be more likely permanent or temporary.

So yes - if this turns to be a ling term ban - we will add them to at least new game worlds. And concerning US-Cuba - we will to have to discuss them as they are not opened yet and the current acceptance of flights is limited to VFR passengers only. And no one may tell, what happena with the next election again.

I believe that the game should reflect real world in bans as it does in other things.

It does, when those bans are permanent. But you can't expect them to keep changing the database every week every time some country's leader gets pissed wth someone else's.

I don’t know how complicated it is to change it. If it is complicated for the devs to change it than I agree that only permanent restrictions should be in force. On the other hand, if it is not that complicated, I’d like to see it resemble real life.

I believe that the game should reflect real world in bans as it does in other things.

Hi,

half of the European tour operators stopped flying to Sharm El Sheikh. Same goes for many Tunisian destinations. Earthquake in Nepal, olympic games in Brazil... Passenger demand goes up and down all the time. These fluctuations are not reflected in the game.

How much does Emirates pay for its fuel ? What's the salary of a Congolese flight attendant ? And what is the profit margin of an average (real) airline ?

I could also ask about German salaries. You would need a full time employee to follow up everything that happens in the world, check facts, change the data base of the different game worlds, and answer questions from upset players who see cancelled or empty flights.

AirlineSim is a simulation. But it is in the first place a game  ;-)

I wouldn't mind changes in the game, not even sudden changes. Especially in established game worlds (with little room for growth) it would keep us players busy. But I don't expect a game to follow the real world that closely.

Jan

AS is, as I remember from the team saying, not supposed to be a game that handles day-to-day management but focuses on long-term operation and planning. That's the reason why the game world is in it self static: There are no natural disasters, plane crashes, effects of political changes etc. on the one hand, on the other hand also no charter flights, seasonally changing demands or major delays that would require micro-management (e.g. due to aircraft breakdown or sick passengers, just what you would expect in real life).

Just saw this.  I would expect that Airlinesim update this status if this regional war escalates and based on what I'm reading I fully expect it to do so.

"Further escalating the crisis between the two countries, the Saudi Foreign Minister announced Monday that his government had cut all commercial ties with Iran, halted air traffic to and from Tehran and banned all its citizens from traveling to the country. Earlier, Saudi allies Bahrain and Sudan followed Riyadh in severing diplomatic ties, while the UAE limited the number of Iranian diplomats serving in the emirate."

http://www.debka.com/newsupdatepopup/14434/Saudis-cut-air-commercial-ties-with-Iran-and-ban-travel

It's a funny idea and is unacceptable. If you do fly ban on iran routes , all routes for hostile airlines should be changed. For example, if you create restrictions on Iran Flights so Iran will not let you cross their sky, and for sure airlinesim will face many problems and clutter. i think airlinesim will not let politics enter to this simulator.

Game would be more interesting in my opinion. The demand is orientated on real life demand, so why not implementing REAL LIFE events such as the flight ban between iran and saudis. I don't know how complex the data management is but should be no big deal to reduce the numbers between these countries to 0.

Additionally an airport like Donetsk, which is completly destroyed should be deleted from the game or at least get it's demand reduced to 0.

By implementing AGEX developers decided NOT to have a static world, so why not have a dynamic world based on real life data?

@bulgarianjoe - Because it was said that temporary events like temporary flight bans (e.g. Iran-Saudi Arabia, Turkey-Russia, Turkey-Egypt, etc.) will not be implemented, unless they turn into permanent bans. How do they turn into permanent ones? Well, I guess once they have been in place IRL for couple of years.

By implementing AGEX developers decided NOT to have a static world, so why not have a dynamic world based on real life data?

AGEX is autonomous in nature, while real life data need someone to monitor the world and update the game accordingly.

And that someone need to be compensated for the services he/she rendered, and it could increase your credit consumption. 

... Additionally an airport like Donetsk, which is completly destroyed should be deleted from the game or at least get it's demand reduced to 0...

Hi,

I'll give you another reason why (temporary) events are not implemented in the game's database... If tomorrow some idiots decide to detonate a few bombs at Bologna airport instead of the Bologna train station, you would not be a happy player if passenger demand goes to 0 for the next 6 months.

;-)

Jan

Well yes, but that’s no different from the challenge a RL airline would have to face, so I don’t see that as a problem. Even if you have it as a hub the reduced demand shouldn’t affect you much if your connection is well set up.

That said, having to constantly update the geopolitical data every week would be an excessive drain on team resources, specially in the current uncertain climate, so I don’t mind it being as is. Permanent changes, however, should be added.

Apart from the practical implementation and the drain on resources, I think there would be a fair amount of "that's not fair" reactions in a game that people pay to play. For example, just imagine you operate from BRU and the game would suddenly reflect the current situation - "airport closed for 10 days, too bad for your business". Or "no flights from Russia to Egypt for 6 months". Those kind of events would remain quite rare, so if you did get hit by one, you'd feel very much singled out compared to the competing players who never face something like that.

I believe the underlying thought here is to have perhaps more "events" that can slightly impact your business. (without wanting to go into micromanagement as khoianh pointed out)

If so, I would try to link that to player behaviour rather than outside events. For example, personnel strikes due to salary issues; random flight cancellations when using a cheap maintenance provider in combination with very old planes; or similar. So, things you can fix by paying more attention or spending more AS$ on, without the random external causes. Anyway, drifting off-topic...

I feel like @bulgarianjoe looking for such challenges being added to the gameplay. After reading the best explanation so far from @wardcallens why this is not such a good idea, I have to second his conclusions. Let’s add strikes or boycotts (e.g. passengers refusing to fly with an airline operating LET at 5+ bar airports, etc.)

I agree with wardcallens, that would be the most fair way to implement penalties.