Wave System

What are your wave times?

What are your wave times?

01:00 , 07:00 , 11:00 and 15:30 

(might added another one )

you have to check the landing times and the minimum connection time of that airport.

I believe your arrival times in JNB are a bit on the short side, but I'm not sure of the TA times of your aircraft and the connection time in JNB.

If the arrival is after your wave take off (01:00, 7:00, etc.) then the connecting passengers won't make it to the next flight and have to wait for the next wave.

you have to check the landing times and the minimum connection time of that airport.

I believe your arrival times in JNB are a bit on the short side, but I'm not sure of the TA times of your aircraft and the connection time in JNB.

If the arrival is after your wave take off (01:00, 7:00, etc.) then the connecting passengers won't make it to the next flight and have to wait for the next wave.

The connection time in JNB is 1h15 , and all of the flights wait on the tarmac for at least  15 mins after its ready for departures time .(turn around time is 60  min ,) . For exmapel the CPT -JNB flight is already ready at 06;35 for the next departure which is JNB-DUR.

I like having 2 maintenance gaps per day (about 2 hours each) as I can get better image for my flights.

The connection time in JNB is 1h15 , and all of the flights wait on the tarmac for at least  15 mins after its ready for departures time .(turn around time is 60  min ,) . For exmapel the CPT -JNB flight is already ready at 06;35 for the next departure which is JNB-DUR.

Should be good then. 

Now all you need is to set up the other planes to a similar timetable (arrive at JNB before 5:45, leave at or after 7:00; same thing for the other waves), and you have a network.  :)

One thing though, you should move your 17:30 flight to a later time to connect with the 1:00 flight (or move the 1:00 flight earlier to connect with the 17:30 one), to get another wave at your hub. Airplanes should stay at your hub just the minimum necessary time to allow a connection and no more, so as to minimize the time needed for a connection (meaning, maintenance gaps should be mostly off-hub).

Also, so long as it doesn't mess up your waves, try to spread the maintenance gaps more evenly throughout the day (2 daily gaps of 2 hours are better than 1 gap of 4 hours). This will keep your aircraft in top condition all the time, which means better ratings.

My observation: waves at irregular intervals do not make much sense. Make them at either at 4 or 6 or 8 or 12 hour intervals...whatever.... But do not make them at 6 and 4 and 4.5 hours at the same time.

Should be good then. 

Now all you need is to set up the other planes to a similar timetable (arrive at JNB before 5:45, leave at or after 7:00; same thing for the other waves), and you have a network.  :)

One thing though, you should move your 17:30 flight to a later time to connect with the 1:00 flight (or move the 1:00 flight earlier to connect with the 17:30 one), to get another wave at your hub. Airplanes should stay at your hub just the minimum necessary time to allow a connection and no more, so as to minimize the time needed for a connection (meaning, maintenance gaps should be mostly off-hub).

Also, so long as it doesn't mess up your waves, try to spread the maintenance gaps more evenly throughout the day (2 daily gaps of 2 hours are better than 1 gap of 4 hours). This will keep your aircraft in top condition all the time, which means better ratings.

Thanks for the advice . I re did the schedule , I had t remove the JNB-PLZ (did not fit in ) , and replaced it with another JNB-DUR.

air1.PNG

My observation: waves at irregular intervals do not make much sense. Make them at either at 4 or 6 or 8 or 12 hour intervals...whatever.... But do not make them at 6 and 4 and 4.5 hours at the same time.

I changed it to a 2 hr gap and a just 1 hr gap for last wave (last wave might be diffrent depends on route )

Now your transfer times are too long. The 1h turnaround time should be included as much as possible in the 1h15 transfer time, to have your planes spend the minimum necessary time at the hub and no more, with the maintenace being done mostly at other airports while waiting for the right time to return to your hub.

And what rubiohighey is saying is that it's best to have waves at regular intervals (for instance waves starting at 1:00, 7:00, 13:00 and 19:00) rather than waves at irregular intervals (1:00, 8:30, 16:15 like you have) At least they will be, once you have lots of different planes to coordinate. Whether those intervals should be 4, 6, 8 hours or whatever is dependent on how long a return flight takes to your destinations, and that depends a lot on your location (as well as slot availability).

If most of your destinations are around 1500km away, then those flights might fit in a 6h wave depending on turnaround times (meaning, they have to return to the hub up to 4h45 after leaving, so that the next wave can depart 1h15 later), if most are around 2000km away an 8h wave might be best, and if they're about 1000km away a 4h wave might do (and longer flights can use an 8h wave and still fit in nicely there). Which one fits best depends on your flight strategy,

jnnl2NH.jpg?1

A splendid explanation.

Now your transfer times are too long. The 1h turnaround time should be included as much as possible in the 1h15 transfer time, to have your planes spend the minimum necessary time at the hub and no more, with the maintenace being done mostly at other airports while waiting for the right time to return to your hub.

And what rubiohighey is saying is that it's best to have waves at regular intervals (for instance waves starting at 1:00, 7:00, 13:00 and 19:00) rather than waves at irregular intervals (1:00, 8:30, 16:15 like you have) At least they will be, once you have lots of different planes to coordinate. Whether those intervals should be 4, 6, 8 hours or whatever is dependent on how long a return flight takes to your destinations, and that depends a lot on your location (as well as slot availability).

If most of your destinations are around 1500km away, then those flights might fit in a 6h wave depending on turnaround times (meaning, they have to return to the hub up to 4h45 after leaving, so that the next wave can depart 1h15 later), if most are around 2000km away an 8h wave might be best, and if they're about 1000km away a 4h wave might do (and longer flights can use an 8h wave and still fit in nicely there). Which one fits best depends on your flight strategy,

I have done another flight plan this time with a departure waves starting at 0100 , 0700 , 1100 , 1800.

air1.PNG

Bear in mind, that the actual time of the day that you fly in AS does not matter for the loads.

Also when you schedule your other flights, make sure that the connections are reasonable. Passengers arriving from the north, won't change plane and fly back north. So it is best to have a hub in the center of your "world" and then take pax from east to west (and vice versa) or from north to south.

As previously mentioned, I also would suggest to have all waves at the same interval. So in your case, I'd go for 0100, 0700, 1300 and 19,00

Bear in mind, that the actual time of the day that you fly in AS does not matter for the loads.

Also when you schedule your other flights, make sure that the connections are reasonable. Passengers arriving from the north, won't change plane and fly back north. So it is best to have a hub in the center of your "world" and then take pax from east to west (and vice versa) or from north to south.

As previously mentioned, I also would suggest to have all waves at the same interval. So in your case, I'd go for 0100, 0700, 1300 and 1900

Thanks For the help , I have moved the flights to 0100 , 0700 , 1300 and 1900 

air2.PNG

Looks good now.

The only minor thing to improve could be to have the return flights arrive just before the min. connection time at your hub. So instead of returning immediately from Durban, you could return only some 2 hours later, at 10:45 so that your pax have a minimal lay-over time.

Looks good now.

The only minor thing to improve could be to have the return flights arrive just before the min. connection time at your hub. So instead of returning immediately from Durban, you could return only some 2 hours later, at 10:45 so that your pax have a minimal lay-over time.

Cool thanks , I would do the change and start adopting the same system on my other aircraft .

Here is a wave system based on the 0100 , 0700 , 1300, 1900.  This is a Dash8-q400 Next gen , I have one problem my  maintenance ratio is 201 % , and there is no place for more slots (dont have short enough routes )

air2DH4.PNG

It does not matter you have MR 201% ... tight waves are mor eimportant than MX ratio (there are those who would differ, but my model emphasizes tight waves rather than low MX ratio ->100%).

One more thing, why does your flight 38 return back to JNB immediately? Let it sit at the destination and return to JNB just before your wave cut off time.

It does not matter you have MR 201% ... tight waves are mor eimportant than MX ratio (there are those who would differ, but my model emphasizes tight waves rather than low MX ratio ->100%).

One more thing, why does your flight 38 return back to JNB immediately? Let it sit at the destination and return to JNB just before your wave cut off 

I have changed flight 38 to a departure of 1100 and will now arrive closer to the next wave .

Another question about waves:

If I am based in a country with a high volume of air traffic eg. China, does a wave system become a bit of a waste of time. Ie. wouldn't I be better on having more flights between A and B (my base) (assuming the demand is there) and B and C, than trying to set up a tight transfer system between A and C (via B, as its more than likely that direct flights between A and C would exist anyway?

Of course, regional flights going to my base would benefit from hitting some sort of wave system - for connecting longer haul flights, but I would expect there to be less competition for the regional flights, and multiple flights from bigger destinations to my base should be able to connect anyway, so a tight connection (via a wave system) should not really matter anyway?

Yes, for most domestic flights (except small airports), there should be a high enough direct demand to fill the planes without need for a wave. But once you go long-haul, you'll need those domestic flights to connect to and feed your long-haul flights. So if you haven't set up the waves beforehand, you'll suddenly realise those domestic flights aren't connecting properly and you'll need to rearrange your domestic plan. If there are no more slots, you're gonna have a problem.