Wave System

This thread is a continue of the conversation on 

<a  class="" href="http://community.airlinesim.aero/topic/8989-leasing-costs-of-aircraft-depreciation/" title="Leasing costs of aircraft + depreciation - started  20.10.2015 - 19:14"><span>Leasing costs of aircraft + depreciation</span></a>

I have an Idea of what the wave system is , but it would be great if someone can show me a pictures of how a flight plan looks like for a wave system.

Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 10.13.31.png

As you can see I have only 2 waves daily at 6:00 and 17:00 (or around if I do not find the slots). KUL has a connection time of 1:15 hours. This is a A320 or A321 (I forgot LOL).

DELETE Please

How did you get hold of an 757 on a 6.3 server? Isen't Quimby the only 6.3 server - and made with new aircrafts available?  :)

I am sorry it actually is a 767 but I found out that that schedule is completely messed up and would not explain anything about a wave system.

Quimby is currently the only AS 6.3 server. It has only new aircraft.

Here is one one of my typical scedules , how would you make re schedule it into a wave system ?

It is a CRJ900

Without knowing where your primary hub is, the best that any of us can do is a general overview of a banked departure system. That you operate within the Yummymoussaka (I can never remember the name without looking it up.) treaty area also complicates matters further.

The basis of a wave system is choosing a time where the majority of your departures happen. If the minimum connection[transfer] time (MCT) at your hub airport is 90 minutes, then with a departure wave starting at 1100, the aircraft involved in the wave need to land from their previous mission no later than 0930. MCT starts ticking from when the aircraft arrives, not when the aircraft is ready to depart again. Turnaround and MCT happen simultaneously, so an aircraft turnaround of 60 minutes and an MCT of 90 minutes means 30 minutes of the aircraft sitting idle on the tarmac.

When your aircraft arrive at 0929 and earlier, passengers and cargo will disembark the aircraft and head for the exit or to the next gate, the aircraft gets cleaned and restocked with provisions and fuel, and made ready for the 1100 departure time. If the aircraft had a 1030 departure, then the only connecting traffic would have been the passengers/cargo who arrived onboard that aircraft as arriving traffic continuing onboard the same aircraft aren’t subject to MCT. It’s very likely that some people from Durban would want to go to Nairobi, but chances are that there are some people from Cape Town and Port Elizabeth that want to also. Having a departure bank/wave system means that all of them can connect to your NBO flight, which means more seats filled. Your aircraft won’t be constantly in use like they currently are though, as there may be an window of idling between the end of turnaround and waiting for MCT to finish.

You can also plan departure waves at other airports, not just your hub. Operating within a treaty region means that you can create a wave system at an airport in Nairobi or another city.

Here I made an example of your second schedule with a 3 wave system being at 1:00, 6:00, 18:00. It is made with a CRJ-900 and with the same destinations that you have.

Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 20.59.13.png

The 1:00 I the would use as medium haul/short long haul (departing) and short haul.

The 6:00 I it would use it as short haul (from the 1:00 wave) but maybe also medium haul as it is in parallel with the 18:00. 

The 18:00 This would be my main wave during the day as it can take the arriving medium and long haul flights from the 1 and 6 waves it is also parallel to the 6. This wave would also work well for short haul. 

Remember:

• The more maintenance flights times you have in a day the better will your rating be (minimum maintenance time is 2 hours).
  • The minimum connection time in JNB is 1:15 hours and as you grow you will run out of slots at your hub and you will have to have a wider wave, that is why the flights arrive about 1:30 hours before the first wave.
  • Note that the time of arrival is when the transfer clock starts ticking (not when the aircraft is turned around).

This schedule is not that good and effective as the 2 maintenance gaps are far from each other and the aircraft is not very utilized (so this is not that good of a schedule actually).

Here I made an example of your second schedule with a 3 wave system being at 1:00, 6:00, 18:00. It is made with a CRJ-900 and with the same destinations that you have.

Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 20.59.13.png

The 1:00 I the would use as medium haul/short long haul (departing) and short haul.

The 6:00 I it would use it as short haul (from the 1:00 wave) but maybe also medium haul as it is in parallel with the 18:00. 

The 18:00 This would be my main wave during the day as it can take the arriving medium and long haul flights from the 1 and 6 waves it is also parallel to the 6. This wave would also work well for short haul. 

Remember:

• The more maintenance flights times you have in a day the better will your rating be (minimum maintenance time is 2 hours).
  • The minimum connection time in JNB is 1:15 hours and as you grow you will run out of slots at your hub and you will have to have a wider wave, that is why the flights arrive about 1:30 hours before the first wave.
  • Note that the time of arrival is when the transfer clock starts ticking (not when the aircraft is turned around).

This schedule is not that good and effective as the 2 maintenance gaps are far from each other and the aircraft is not very utilized (so this is not that good of a schedule actually).

Thanks for the explanation. I am a newbie to Airlinesim, but I used to play Airwaysim for about 2 years now, and this Wave system and connecting pax are a whole different type for me. My airline is Alaska Skies on Quimby

Due to the long time playing AWS, I had a habit of starting a day at 5am and end before midnight, since night time never got high LF on AWS, but with the connection pax on AS, would it be any different if my aircraft is in for maintenance at night, or during the day? Also, do I need to have 1 aircraft flying to only 1 destination a few times a day, of should it start from A, go to B, then C, then D, and then head back to C, B and finally back to A?

Another question, I currently have a fleet of 6 CRJ1000, should I assign 5 of them flying around, collecting connection pax to my hub, and have 1 aircraft flying a well known route?

I think if you can find suitable popular destinations, e.g. it can fit your wave and fleets, add as many flights as you can to those airports. You can't support a wave unless you really have a lot of flights. My connection condition is not so good until i fill the airport like this:

uhajW9B.jpg

but i'm also quite new for wave scheduling, so i might be wrong

The more flights you add, the more deviation from your set hub time syou need to take. At the end, if you fill all slots, the hub becomes a sort of rolling-hub system instead of wave system. But it's not an overnight process. I would bet your own Jakarta hub is now more rolling hub than wave based.

Thanks for the explanation. I am a newbie to Airlinesim, but I used to play Airwaysim for about 2 years now, and this Wave system and connecting pax are a whole different type for me. My airline is Alaska Skies on Quimby

Due to the long time playing AWS, I had a habit of starting a day at 5am and end before midnight, since night time never got high LF on AWS, but with the connection pax on AS, would it be any different if my aircraft is in for maintenance at night, or during the day? Also, do I need to have 1 aircraft flying to only 1 destination a few times a day, of should it start from A, go to B, then C, then D, and then head back to C, B and finally back to A?

Another question, I currently have a fleet of 6 CRJ1000, should I assign 5 of them flying around, collecting connection pax to my hub, and have 1 aircraft flying a well known route?

1) Did you play with Elite in AWS?

2) Time does not matter (at this time). 2 am is as good as 8 am or 3 pm or 10 pm.

3) At the moment tere is no difference when, or where you undertake your maintenance, for as long as your MX ratio is over 100%, your maintenance is evenly spread out daily (so one single large weekly block will not cut it), each MX block must be at least 2 hours and you may need 2x2hrs or 1x3.5 hours, but it's always better to have more "shorter" mx blocks than fewer "larger" mx blocks.

4) You can fly from anywhere to anywhere where you have traffic rights, that means your country of registration to any domestic market, and any international market.

http://en.airlinesim.aero/wiki/index.php/Tutorial/1.5/Expert_Knowledge/Traffic_Rights

You are not limited to your designated hub, you can fly frrm any point to any point within your country, and from any point in your country to any international point.

Plus if you are registered in countries that benefit from treatis like EU treaty, you can fly according to treaty specifications (see link above).

So yes you can fly ABCDCBA, ABCBADA, ABCDAECA, etc. or just simple ABABABAB, or ABCADABA

Here is another example of a wave schedule.

The hub is in FRA and I have scheduled 4 waves throughout the day. First one starts at 6:00, then followed by a wave at 11:30, 17:00 and a final one at 22:30.

Currently the return is always scheduled immediately after the arrival, as the waves are within 5:30h. Alternatively you could schedule the return leg to arrive (land) just before the minimum connection time (4:30, 10:00, 15:30 and 21:00) to have the shortest connection times.

Once you have a good number of connecting flights, you can then start an international wave starting one of the times (for example at 22:30).

If a specific flight (total turnaround) is longer than the 5:30h you can skip that one for the specific wave (see second screenshot). Here I also have scheduled the return flights to arrive just before the next wave, to make sure the pax get good connections.

Capture.PNG

NO, flying around to small airports is just stupid at this moment. You should go for the largest US and canadian airports (that are less than 2500 km away). Also at this stage try focusing everything in one whit waves, you need to choose. When you are over 3000 departures at that hub then you can open an other one but how your are doing now is that you are competing with yourself.

Note the range of the CRJ1000, do not go over 2500km routes whit it.

Thanks alot everyone , I will start the re scheduling process , so long  and see how I do . 

NO, flying around to small airports is just stupid at this moment. You should go for the largest US and canadian airports (that are less than 2500 km away). Also at this stage try focusing everything in one whit waves, you need to choose. When you are over 3000 departures at that hub then you can open an other one but how your are doing now is that you are competing with yourself.

Note the range of the CRJ1000, do not go over 2500km routes whit it.

Sorry my bad. The aircraft were actually CRJ1000 NG ER

What I meant was, having 5 of the aircraft flying to multiple destination, while 1 fly solely to a mega airport. For example I am one of the 2 airline that fly directly from SEA to ATL, and my flight is always full. Should I reschedule my other flight so they arrive before my flight to ATL begin, and one of the aircraft will fly to ATL about 2 times a day after my other flights arrive?

I don't know why I did it, but I have an aircraft based in SFO flying out of that airport, I think because I want to offer more connecting flights from that airport, should I reschedule it to fly out of my home base?

This is a schedule of my flight that fly to ATL daily

i suggest you to use all your planes in one airport, especially you are using wave system. 

Can you change the flight plan for the Atlanta flight? It would be better to have one fits others instead of the other way around.

I saw you have no maintenance plan in one day twice a week. You need to be aware of that because it will affect your aircraft condition. The condition would be really bad, like 60% at the end of the second day.

i suggest you to use all your planes in one airport, especially you are using wave system. 

Can you change the flight plan for the Atlanta flight? It would be better to have one fits others instead of the other way around.

I saw you have no maintenance plan in one day twice a week. You need to be aware of that because it will affect your aircraft condition. The condition would be really bad, like 60% at the end of the second day.

I did notice the maintenance, and I checked the aircraft after the end of the no-maintenance day and the lowest it ever get is 75% so I figure I'll just leave it like that. But I could change the flight plan and bring the other aircraft back to my home base. But since 95% of my flight are full load on pax, I might just leave it like that for now.

Just be careful when other players opening hubs in SFO, it might affect your booking.

The condition of aircraft is related to your image, 70% is about two negative bars. make sure it's not affecting your overall image too much.

Just finished this schedule for a A320-200 light (enhanced). Is the wave system a good one or bad . I want to base my other flights on the same on , with some departures (to smaller airports) will happen at 0700 .

Schedule is for JNB-CPT , JNB -DUR , JNB - ESL , JNB-PLZ

air.PNG