Yamoussoukro Decision + connecting pax

Hi everyone,

I have now understood the Yamoussoukro Decision and having done so, started an airline in LOS and created various flights within participating countries, using a single flight number and the via capability  e.g.

LOS-ABJ-CKY

LOS-OUA-BKO

LOS-SSG-LAD

LOS-LBV-PNR

The game is providing me with pax on all possible sectors which is great.

I have all these flights arriving at the same time in LOS and then I have set up a wave of flights to every domestic destination in Nigeria from LOS.

The problem I have is that when I look in "scheduling", the last sector into LOS on all these flights i.e. ABJ-LOS, OUA-LOS, SSG-LOS and LBV-LOS all show connections to every domestic flight in the wave I created.

However, when I look at CKY-LOS, BKO-LOS, LAD-LOS and PNR-LOS i.e. the originating point of the flight, it shows no connections at all, even though they are the same flight.

Does the game assume that if a pax has booked on a flight with a transit stop somewhere, that they would not want to make a connection at my hub? Surely, if I have a pax booked from CKY-LOS, despite the fact the a/c has a transit stop in ABJ, that pax should be able to take a connection in LOS.

Any ideas - thanks.

Have you looked at each leg.... so for example CKY - ABJ? Are there any connecting there?

When checking the "5th freedom" part of the flight, the only connection showing is the actual ongoing flight itself i.e.

If I look at CKY-ABJ, the only connection showing is the ABJ-LOS sector of the same flight. This is the same for all my flights operating under the Yamoussoukro Decision.

For CKY you should check the ORS, if the connection is there then you are fine. I believe the issue is that for CKY the connection point to to co sides in scheduling tab is ABJ instead of LOS.

For CKY you should check the ORS, if the connection is there then you are fine. I believe the issue is that for CKY the connection point to to co sides in scheduling tab is ABJ instead of LOS.

I had to hunt for the CKY flight to my final destinations in the ORS system and they are there but not listed favourably as the game deems it to be 3 separate flights, even though the first 2 are not separate - it's a via, through flight which is allowed under the Yamoussoukro Decision, with full 5th freedom traffic rights.

In conclusion then, as it is deemed as a double connection, the connection will not show in scheduling ex CKY but as it is in the ORS system, then I don't need to worry because it can be booked - is that right?

Yeah, but (almost) no one is going to book a 3 segment flight unless you have zero competition. The via flights are listed as connections because they are multiple segments and therefore less desirable than non-stops.

Yeah, but (almost) no one is going to book a 3 segment flight unless you have zero competition. The via flights are listed as connections because they are multiple segments and therefore less desirable than non-stops.

That's what I understand to be the case (I've only been playing for 3 weeks) but if that is so, how on earth do I take advantage of the Yamoussoukro Decision, so that pax from my point of origin (CKY) do not see this a 3 separate flights but instead, see it as a direct flight from CKY to LOS with an intermediary stop plus 1 connection at my hub in LOS - or can the game not handle that?

The advantage of the treaty and the whole point as far as I can see it is that you can sell tickets beteeen two countries you wouldn’t normally be able to. For example ABJ-CKY. There is no real advantage for transfer passengers through your hub, as, with in real life, having to take 3 flights to get to one place is undesirable

depends where you are, but it sometimes helps to better utilize your flight-plan. I used to have a company based in JNB and would operate flights northern / western africa. The treary allowed to extend routes and get a few transfer passengers on routes such as JNB-ABJ-LOS. Also when you have an African company (e.g. in South Africa) and want to expand to some nearby investment friendly country (Tanzania, Kenya, Angola), you can use the treaty to support the hub of the subsidary...

That's what I understand to be the case (I've only been playing for 3 weeks) but if that is so, how on earth do I take advantage of the Yamoussoukro Decision, so that pax from my point of origin (CKY) do not see this a 3 separate flights but instead, see it as a direct flight from CKY to LOS with an intermediary stop plus 1 connection at my hub in LOS - or can the game not handle that?

You're misunderstanding the Yamoussoukro agreement. It is there to give you traffic rights where you otherwise wouldn't. It is not there to make passengers magically view two separate flights as if they were just one. A direct flight that goes from A to B will sitll get a better rating than one that has to detour via A-C and then C-B, even if the plane doesn't change.

That said, I think in general (Yamoussoukro or not), a connecting flight where passengers stay on the same plane should still get a better rating than a flight where passengers have to switch planes, as the main unattractive feature of a connecting flight is the need to change planes and possibility of miising the connection - though still not as good a rating as a direct flight, of course.

You're misunderstanding the Yamoussoukro agreement. It is there to give you traffic rights where you otherwise wouldn't. It is not there to make passengers magically view two separate flights as if they were just one. A direct flight that goes from A to B will sitll get a better rating than one that has to detour via A-C and then C-B, even if the plane doesn't change.

That said, I think in general (Yamoussoukro or not), a connecting flight where passengers stay on the same plane should still get a better rating than a flight where passengers have to switch planes, as the main unattractive feature of a connecting flight is the need to change planes and possibility of miising the connection - though still not as good a rating as a direct flight, of course.

I understand what the Yamoussoukro Decision means regarding 5th Freedom Rights etc. and I understand that this is the main purpose of it but the point I was trying to make is exactly what you said - that a through flight via an intermediary point plus a connection, should receive a higher rating than 3 separate flights. Virtually my whole hub is based on these kind of flights and so I am effectively halving the potential connections at my hub, as the originating pax  on these through flights don't view this option as particularly favourable.

The advantage of the treaty and the whole point as far as I can see it is that you can sell tickets beteeen two countries you wouldn't normally be able to. For example ABJ-CKY. There is no real advantage for transfer passengers through your hub, as, with in real life, having to take 3 flights to get to one place is undesirable

That's the basis of my argument though - they are not taking 3 separate flight. They are taking 2 flights, of which 1 is a through flight with an intermediary stop - a better option than 3 separate flights altogether.

Anyway guys, thanks for all your input and help. Might just have to look a little more closely at my strategy. I'm only just starting out with this game so I'm sure there's a whole ton of stuff for me to get my head around !!!