Passenger demand: same each day?

Hi, new player here. I’ve read quite a few of the old forum posts and learnt a lot. But there’s one thing that I’m still uncertain about.

I’m curious how passenger demand / generation works. For example, I am the only airline serving a route and I offer one flight a day. Currently, my planes are ~50% full on each flight. Can I increase how full my planes are by cutting down the number of days that I operate on that route?

If the passengers are generated each day and only fly on that day, then this won’t work. But if a passenger will fly on a range of days, or are generated week-by-week then this should work. I’m not sure which method is used in AirlineSim.

Thanks!

I’m not sure about the reduction of frequency to help fill flights since most of my routes have multiples of 7 weekly flights… but you should first try and get your rating up to 99 and then try increasing connections, that should fill up your flights in a few weeks as you expand.

I hope someone sheds some light on the reducing frequency to help load factor, I’m interested to know about that as well. From my experience I have reduced frequencies from 2daily to 1 daily and noticed only a small improvement (may have nothing to do with the freq reduction) in the remaining flight, but the routes I am talking about have a lot of competition unlike in your case.

i dont know it either, but …

there is no need to increase the rating to 99, its only important to have a better rating then the ground transportation

then it will be booked

Have you checked the ORS, if there are alternatives on your route? It is also possible that your route has not enough demand for all your flights.

From my own experience, reducing frequency in order to increase LF definitely works in AS!

I had several routes scheduled for three or four rotations weekly that had 100% LF. I tried converting them to daily service, but not all of them worked out. As soon as I reduced the frequency, LF was up again.

Good job AS Team!

The example I gave wasn’t actually a real example ;) I was just trying to get a better feeling of the game. But it sounds like frequency is a consideration and that I should pay attention to it when scheduling service. I wonder if there is a window, say a 3-day window, in which the passengers will accept a flight? I just bought my first credits and was looking at ORS, and a search for flights “Now” shows matches a few days into the future as well, so it would appear that a passenger generated for a particular day considers flights on near-by dates as well.

Hi,

passengers start booking their flights three days ahead. If you are the only airline serving a route, flying every other day should double your load factor. Just like under serving a route results in flights being fully booked three days ahead.

But as Ivan already said, Even if you are the only airline flying between A and B, adding a flight between B and C may also increase the load factor between A and B.

Jan

sobelair is right :)

get interlining, up loading fast.;)

Will the size of the airport determine is the passengers continue? My thinking is that ifyou have a scheduled a flight from A-B-C but airport B is a ‘transfer impossible’ airport and its the same flight then the pax should continue onto the next leg. If they are seperate flights then they wouldn’t be able to continue on. Is my thinking correct on this one? Thanks in advance.

Yeah, if you have a VIA flight via airport B, passengers from airport A will be able to continue towards C, plus you can take on more PAX from B to C

You do not have to use VIA flights, though. If you fly A to/from B to/from C (A<->B<->C), using the same AC, passengers can travel the same way as with a VIA flight, even though if airport does not offer connection capabilities. All the "transfer impossible" means that PAX cannot change the aircraft.

I have had situations like this: I have two flights a day between A and B both with a load factor 70%. I then cancel one flight so there is only one flight per day. Instead of improving, the load factor of the remaining flight stays at 70% ! I can only think that the passenger transfer time and the percentage of transfers is making the difference.

In other words, only very few pax are flying A-B, the majority are flying A-B-C. Passengers will only transfer if the connecting time is less than 8 hours. Lets call the flights XYZ001 and XYZ002, and suppose they are 12 hours apart. Pax on XYZ002 are making a connection to C within the 8 hour time window. If I cancel XYZ002, then they will not transfer to XYZ001 - the transfer time if 12 hours is too long.

If I cancel the flights every 3rd day however, then if pax don’t mind which of the 3 days they fly, I should get 100% load factor! The problem then is the knock-on effect that the LF for the B-C leg drops. So presumably I should choose specific days of the week where ALL flights for the entire fleet with a LF under 70% are cancelled, correct?? ;) ;)

Hi,

let’s assume your first flight was a morning flight A-B and your second flight was an afternoon flight A-B. You cancelled the morning flight and hope to get a higher load factor on the afternoon flight. But perhaps the connecting flight your passengers want, is fully booked. And if B-C is fully booked, you don’t get extra passengers on the A-B route. Or, perhaps the morning A-B flight offers connections to different flights than the afternoon A-B flight.

Anyway, if your A-B flight is not fully booked, it may well be because other airlines offer flights out of A with a better rating than yours. In that case, a higher rating may help you more than cancelling one of the flights. Real airlines know exactly how many passengers travel between A and B, and how many take a connecting flight to C, D or E. Unfortunately, we can only guess. Well… you would probably need a second server for every game world. And you would certainly get loads of discussions why there isn’t more demand on this or that connection

In a world without competition, yes

But even if it works, you would end up with part of your fleet not flying on specific days.

If a route is not profitable, I drop that route. And as my network increases, I give that route another try some time later. In some cases a route becomes profitable with other connections.

Jan

I have adpoted this line of thinking this time round and it has been paying off. On some of my mor regional routes I have seen a 50% jump in LF since expanding my network. I find its always worth giving it a try later on.

That is not necessarily a bad thing. I optimise the maintenance ratio this way - choose days 1 3 and 6 to be your full days and have less services on 2 4 5 and 7 to provide more maintenance on these days. This way there can easily be 3-a-week flights with appropriate connections and full use of the aircraft and maintenance ratio. Obviously that leads to a few issues like more flight numbers and certain periods where the aircraft flies at 70% condition but I use the maximum flight time. It also means that if you fly some flight at the chosen time interval daily it will have lesss connections on these days so maybe adjustment of the price is necessary Aviation is all about trade-offs. Anyway, in AS do the pax want to fly specifically on Monday or Tuesday (separately) or are they like the Ryainair passengers to lesser destinations where they are flexible for a couple of days? I haven’t played long enough to find out…

Hi,

their flexibility is limited between the next time the ORS checks the demand for an airport, and maximum 48 hours later

If the first flight is fully booked, or the plane does not fly that day, they will book a seat for the second day or the third day. But they won’t look further in the future. If they cannot reach their destination in the next three days, they won’t fly.

Jan

Thought so but wasn’t sure. Thanks

Assuming Supply is greater than demand…

Is there differing demand by day (or even calendar date)?

So Assuming Average Demand on a route is X… Does demand become X - 10% on Monday and X +15% on Tuesday and so on? Or is demand always X regardless of day (or date)?

the demand is always the same, it depends on nothing, not on the day of the week, not on summer or winter, not on daytime or nighttime

are you REALLY sure about that?