Cargo settings not affecting cargo load/unload times

I’m setting up a new route in China. KHN-SYX.

Otto gameworld.

Plane is an Airbus 300-600.

With “default” cargo settings, the load time for baggage is 32m, the unload time is 37m.

With “no cargo and avoid bulk”, the load times are the same, 32m load cargo, 37m unload cargo.

What am I missing?

Screenshots:

Flight 21 settings:

No cargo and avoid bulk (flight number is 21)

Flight 21 settings changed to “default”:

Flight 21 turnaround times with ‘default’ cargo:

I tried other routes with this plane (Airbus 300-600), and the same thing happens. Cargo settings for the route do not in any way affect cargo load/unload times.

I’ve done this on other planes and the times change as they should.

Is there something wrong with this type of plane? Or am I missing something?

EDITED: Corrected airport destionation code (SYX not SYA)

I shortly changed my settings from default to avoid cargo and no bulk. This also set this to any other airline, I had on this server-> it became the new ‚default‘. Was this maybe already your default setting? Could explain this… but can’t open your images on the mobile so not sure…

I don’t think that’s the issue here. The other routes are all okay with cargo and the load/unload times.

Also, if no cargo/no bulk was the default, the cargo load and unload times for this route should be zero, not 32m/37m.

So I’m now having a similar problem with another route in China.

I tried using “remote stand” on another flight. The passenger board/deboard times did not change at all.

Both settings work perfectly well on my American routes.

Neither setting works at all on my Chinese routes.

Is there something with these Chinese airports I’m missing?

Sometimes what I’ve found is that some airports don’t react to remote stands, this is because since the airports don’t have jetbridges both settings would mean a remote stand anyway. So if an airport doesn’t have jetbridges then opting out is the same as opting in - therefore t/a’s do not change anything.
Same thing with cargo - some airports simply can’t handle it, or it might be something with either the A/C type, payload % on the route, or again airports themselves.
For A/C - some jets don’t handle cargo and some carry little. You likely know that by now.
For some, if the payload is anywhere below 100% then cargo doesn’t operate. Some aircraft types do partial cargo when the payload isn’t 100%, but some (like my E-jets) don’t do that. Not necessarily sure on the reason.
Then some airports without cargo facilities (again disproportionately the small ones) simply do not accept it.
It depends on the scenario, really/.

1 Like

The remote stand is a possibility. I wish the airports would display somewhere what they can handle.

The cargo still makes no sense, though. No matter which setting is used with the route (default, avoid bulk, no cargo, no cargo & avoid bulk), the baggage load and unload times remain the same, 32m to load, 37m to unload.

The plane is an AB6, so there’s a fair amount of cargo capacity for the plane.

If there was no cargo capability for the airport or the route, the times should be zero, not 30+ minutes regardless of settings.

I noticed that you mentioned your routes in the USA works as expected. Therefore I assume that this is a connecting flight that you don’t have traffic right. In this case, the flights defaults to cargo only, and the options in the route setup did not apply. I think this could be a bug, as the edge case for a passenger flight without traffic right is automatically assumed as a cargo, and cargo capacity cannot be disabled.

My routes in the US that work as expected are in reference to a different airline I ran where I had to make similar changes, and they worked as expected.

This is now happening on another route with a different plane.

Airbus 310, route is KHN to URC.

That makes two planes and two routes (first one is Airbus 300-600 on KHN-SYX).

No matter what cargo settings are active on the route, the cargo load time is 32m, the cargo unload time is 37m.

I think that’s because of the aircraft. If you’re using 737/A220, probably there will be a difference. (I’m sure A220 will)

737/CS3 are too narrow to fit any ULD. But A300/A310 are wide-bodies, and can load ULDs, which generally saves some loading time. Remember passengers have baggages, so what you see here probably is for loading baggages, which cannot be shortened. 737/CS3 will have difference - handling only baggages will save some time.

1 Like

So, there’s three types of cargo not two? Bulk, container, and passenger bags?

To be honest, cargo has always confused me somewhat. There’s only one section for it, but it’s measured two different ways (volume, weight) and there’s two (or three) different types, that all seem to be calculated independently using either volume or weight (or both).

How much of the cargo space goes to passenger bags?

Not sure exactly. But it’ll be a function of distance, # of passengers, binding constraint of MPL and cargo weight & space.

But at least, by default, think about every passenger you carry will bring a luggage. If I’m correct, the setting is passenger + baggage = 100 kg

1 Like

That’s kind of the problem. I’ve heard all sorts of stuff, too, and there are no definitive answers.

When I buy a plane, I have no idea how much cargo it will actually be able to carry. Numbers are all over the place.

For example, I buy a plane with 6988kg of cargo capacity. Sometimes it has 36 units of cargo bookable. Sometimes 24. Sometimes 26.

On some planes, when I adjust the cargo settings, turn around times decrease. Other times, nothing changes.

There’s no apparent reason why any of these things do what they do other than numerous (and sometimes contradictory) messages on the forums that go back 10 years in some cases, so I’m not even sure if they’re relevant anymore.

I wish AS would publish a small article or wiki entry explaining how all these cargo types affect each other, why some are in volume (cubic meters) and some are in weight (kilograms), and how and why all of them affect the turnaround times (or have no affect at all), with a simple example included for one plane on one route. Just something to help clarify things.

Thanks for the responses, though.

I can give you an example:

A220-300: MPL 19.85t, cargo vol 31m^3, cargo weight 5.267t
If you put 125 pax in, then:

• remaining payload = 19.85 - 12.5 = 7.35 t
    Assuming 1 cu (bulk) = 1 m^3 = 100 kg, so
  • remaining payload: 73 cu
  • cargo vol: 31
  • cargo weight: 52 cu

so the binding constraint is cargo vol, so you can almost always put 31 cu in CS3 (assuming you’re not stretching the max range). This is consistent with the fact that CS3 has surplus thrust, which makes it a good candidate for airports like LXA, MEX, JNB. And CS3 cannot load any ULD, so if you disable cargo, you’ll save time.

However, if you use A320, which enables ULDs, it will not save time when you disable cargo since it will load all ULDs anyway (to balance the weight).

1 Like

Thanks. I’m gonna take those numbers and plug them into a number of different planes and see how it turns out.

Appreciate all the responses.

No problem. Try 737, and you’ll find it’s MPL-constraint. Maybe take 737-9 as the first one, and you’ll find almost none cargo is possible.

Been a while since I checked that but IIRC the proper calc and factors for bulk should be:

Volume to weight is a 1/6 ratio. (1m^3 => 167kg)
Short haul baggage should be 15kg => 0.09m^3

Your CS3 example:

125 pax => 11.25m^3 of bulk baggage
bulk volume of 31.6m^3 - 11.25m^3 = 20.35m^3 => 3392kg = 33cu (rounding errors possible!)

Containered capacity differs: here it’s the net volume within the containers and weight to volume isn’t straight away 1/6 - thanks to container tare weights.

If turnaround times don’t change when cargo settings are changed, then cargo wasn’t your critical path (click the turnaround fields next to your flights on the flight plan page)

A general read notice for type info:
“main deck” or “lower deck cargo” is containered cargo (a lot faster turnarounds then bulk)

1 Like

It’s not just that turnaround times didn’t change…the actual cargo load/unload times didn’t change.

With default cargo settings it was 32m to load, 37m to unload.

With no cargo/avoid bulk it is the same time to load and unload the cargo…32m to load, 37m to unload.

Did you check the same flight after changing settings or did you schedule a new one or waited for a new one to be booked into the system?

I did two things.

First I changed it while scheduling a flight, and then reloaded the page. This normally changes the turnaround times right away. This has always worked for me before, anyways.

Since that wasn’t working this time, I cleared out the entire flight plan, and scheduled a brand new flight with the cargo disabled, and it still came up with the 32m / 37m times.